Thursday 5 July 2012

Long Live Velcro

 My first post! this is an important post, it might even change the world. I’m talking about the Velcro revolution! Yes. Not heard of it yet? That’s because it hasn’t happened... the world needs to read this post first!
So I think Velcro is pretty awesome…first of all Velcro provides a nice sound right? Laces don’t even make a sound! Rubbish.
In all aspects of my life I like practicality, I’ll take the zip up jacket rather than the one with zillions of buttons..it makes my life that bit easier. I’d drive an automatic car rather than one with gears, I’ll ride a bike rather than walking. So why on earth would I spend the time doing up shoe laces when I can have Velcro ones????
I hear you:
‘only children have Velcro shoes because they can’t tie laces…only old people have Velcro shoes because their hips and backs can’t withstand them bending down to tie laces, well here’s some news for you- my back is a bit achey sometimes too!…and I liked being a kid when things were simpler!
Velcro is so much easier to fasten…I hear you again…. ‘why don’t you just wear slip on shoes?’….hahaha don’t make me laugh! The function of laces is to tighten said shoe for comfort and practicality…slip ons very often lack this! You can’t get a tight snug fit in the shoe without some form of fastening…and so now I introduce the one and only and too often forgotten VELCRO. All shoes or at least lots more shoes for adults (not just kids and grannies) should have velcro fastens.
I’d also like to clarify that I DO know how to tie laces…honest.


I, of course being a huge supporter and advocator of Velcro footwear am the proud owner of many Velcro fastened shoes..and very nice (and dare I say cool-actually maybe I’m not cool) ones. There was a time, long, long ago (about 3 or 4 years to be precise) when Velcro started to make an appearance in popular shoe/trainer shops such as office, schuh, faith, vans (I know because I bought them all), not only were they Velcro and by virtue easy to put on and off and comfortable, but they generally had heart patterns and unicorns and butterfly patterns on them…which funnily enough is just what I like!!! (brings a tear to my eye just thinking about how beautiful they all were) And it was a good time in my life. But now these Velcro trainers have nearly disappeared from the world. And all the ones I own are dying long and painful soul destroying (hah hah-sorry had to be done) deaths, and what am I supposed to do-convert to lace up shoes or slip ons!!!? Are you mad? Did you not just read the above.

My only remaining option is to search ebay for people’s second hand Velcro fastened footwear, and that I have hygiene issues with…(in fact my hygiene issues in relation to second hand clothes and footwear in particular is probably worthy of another weird thing about me blog).
So I ask you this world…why are you not willing to wear Velcro shoes, what is it that you enjoy about the extra effort involved in putting on lace up shoes every day? If I offer you lace up clothes would you prefer them, would you rather lace up your jumper at the sides or simply place it over your head!?
So again, I appear to be weird in my love of Velcro footwear, but I see myself as normal and the lace loving, Velcro hating rest of the world as weird.

Here’s to Velcro, forever loved for your practicality and ease. I’ll stick with you forever.
 I will soon upload some pictures of lovely Velcro footwear!!



Bye for now, littlelizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment