Wednesday 25 July 2012

For the love of shreddies

I love shreddies a bit too much. I’m trying to ween myself off, but quite frankly on the days that I don’t eat shreddies for breakfast I feel like I’m not living life to the full if you know what I mean. I frigging love them, but the worst part is I don’t even know why?? They are plain, boring and not even sweet. But wow I love them. Mind you, it’s actually just the malt wheats…. I always had malt wheats when growing up (the cheaper non-branded version of shreddies), that’s just the household I grew up in…e.g., my mum will walk all the way to the town centre (a good 3 miles) and go into Iceland…that’s right she is willing to even shop among the chavs in Iceland…just to get a bottle of milk 20p cheaper than what she could get from the shop round the corner from our house. So if she’d ever bought real Shreddies for us I would quite frankly have had to send her for a brain scan to check what had gone wrong. 
If you were given branded cereal as a kid then you are definitely upper class.
To be fair to my lovely mum, shreddies are a freaking rip off and I too was never willing to pay the extra for them, but one day I went to the shop and the only option was real expensive shreddies, it was an emergency, I’d ran out of shreddies 2 days prior, I was already suffering withdrawal, I couldn’t suffer another morning without them, what other choice did I have?? Pick another different cheap cereal?…I wasn’t willing to ruin my day like that. So I bought REAL shreddies, the one’s knitted by grannies. I was pretty excited about it, in fact at the checkout I even caught the eye of the lady serving me and nodded saying to myself…that’s right, I buy real shreddies, that’s just who I am, how I live.

So eager was I to try the real shreddies (after twentyish years of malt wheat enjoyment) I couldn’t possibly wait until morning. So I opted to have shreddies for dinner (cereal dinners are quite a regular occurance for me if I fancy a real treat). But oh the disappointment. Malt wheats are doing a terrible job of imitating shreddies, but thank goodness! Because actual real shreddies are not nice!! (you’re bound to disagree with me but then hey I am the weirdo here so that’s to be expected). So to be precise it’s malt wheats that I love. And I don’t know why.
The best brand are waitrose…so you get the knock off shreddie recipe but from a posh shop

Me running over the green meadows hand in hand with shreddies (boxes of shreddies don't actually have legs so this is only a a dream I have rather than a reality).

Somehow at an academic conference (you know the one’s where you are supposed to say things that make you sound intelligent) I ended up having an indepth discussion with other researchers on the topic of shreddies. It lasted at least 1 hour, strange eh!? These topics arise when people sit near me.

No comments:

Post a Comment